Friday, October 24, 2008

A Horrible Day!


On Thursday, I found my cat Rocky (the best cat ever, who thought he was a dog) dead in the woods. I had seen a white fluff in the woods the day before, but didn't realize that he was missing (major guilt!). On Thursday morning, the kids and I couldn't find him and I assured them that he was fine. After taking Brendan to school, I went back to investigate the "white fluff". Unfortunately, as I neared the area, I realized one, it was an animal; two, I saw the tail had gray stripes (like Rocky); and three, I saw his collar--it was Rocky. He had a significant wound on his left hip and his femur was exposed. He also had a wound on his left front leg and his lower left tooth was hanging out of his mouth. I can only assume that he was attacked by something wild and tried to fight back. Horribly, he lost the fight.
I'm trying really hard not to blame myself--if I would have only found him sooner, why did I let him out, etc. Guilt is a typical feeling along journey of grief, right?

We plan to bury him tomorrow on our land.

He will be sorely missed!
Good-bye, buddy!
Love you!

1 comment:

Ellyn said...

I am so sad about Rocky. I told Jake and he seems to understand. REALLY glad I gave Rock the extra "love ups" when I was there. He may be the best cat ever!